Your personal information (identity) is used to perform a criminal activity or fraud. The number and types of frauds based on simple identity theft are innumerable. The best bet it to zealously protect your information.
- Always shred ATM receipts, credit card statements and bank statements.
- Don’t give out your credit information over the phone unless you made the phone call and are certain who you are speaking with.
- Check your bank and credit card statements regularly.
- Notify your bank if you find discrepancies in any of your monthly statements.
- Check your credit report at least yearly to identify any suspicious activity.